Thursday, May 10, 2007

Reading Essays...


...and liking it. I guess the only essays I've been exposed to are the ones that I hear on Public Radio. Of course, I don't hear much because my husband usually switches to a sports station while mumbling some negative comment about essayists just as I am getting interested. I'm enrolled in Rob Wilder's essay workshop so I dutifully ordered The Best American Essays of 2004 from Amazon. After letting it sit unopened for a while, I started reading and now I can't stop. I was amazed by the range of emotion I experienced while reading Lara Hillenbrand's A Sudden Illness. Envy (Kathryn Chetkovich) was hard to read because I identified too closely. To be honest, I'm not sure why I enrolled in an essay writing class. Maybe it's because novel writing isn't fun anymore. Maybe it's because I'd like to finish something for a change. Or maybe it's because Rob Wilder is so darn cute (ooops). Guess I'd better get busy and try to write an essay. Looking forward to seeing y'all in Taos.

3 comments:

  1. You can always listen online to NPR!
    I especially enjoy the THIS I BELIEVE essays:
    http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4538138

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that hat!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Brenda -

    Reading Rob's post below makes me think that essay writing workshop is going to be great fun!

    ReplyDelete